The drug Sildenafil treats erectile dysfunction (ED) and pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH). How much does Sildenafil Viagra cost? index-china is a specialized trading site of Sildenafil in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Da Nang, Can Tho … and nationwide.
What is Sildenafil ? Indications for treatment of Sildenafil ?
- Sildenafil is used under the brand name Viagra as the first line of treatment for erectile dysfunction (ED) in men.
- Sildenafil is also sold under the name Revatio to treat adults with pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure in the lungs). Revatio is designed to improve exercise ability and slow down the worsening changes in people with this disease.
The use of the drug Sildenafil
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED): This drug is used to treat erectile dysfunction or impotence in men, a condition characterized by difficulty achieving and maintaining an erection while trying or having sex. sex. It occurs because the decrease in blood flow to the penis may be due to physical problems such as trauma; diseases such as benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), diabetes, neuropathy, prostate cancer; Psychological causes such as anxiety, stress, depression, etc. Chronic lifestyle habits like smoking, drinking alcohol, etc. can also contribute to ED. It is important to note that this drug will only work if it is sexually stimulating. When ED is caused by psychological alone or psychological, lifestyle and physical causes,
- Pulmonary Hypertension (PAH): This medication is used to treat high blood pressure in arteries that connect the heart and lungs. It also improves exercise ability in such patients.
- In addition, Sildenafil has been used on other brands for other medical conditions, such as Raynaud’s disease (a condition that causes cold and numb fingers and toes) and prostate cancer.
The mechanism of action of Sildenafil
Sildenafil is part of a class of drugs called phosphodiesterase inhibitors (PDE).
- Treatment of erectile dysfunction: it works by relaxing the smooth muscles present in the walls of blood vessels in the penis. This action is limited to specific areas of the body and blood flow in these areas is increased. Therefore, when having aphrodisiac, this drug increases blood flow in the penis, leads to a successful or improved penis erection and does not show any effect without aphrodisiac. .
- When used to treat pulmonary hypertension: works by relaxing the muscles and opening the blood vessels in your lungs. This lowers blood pressure in your lungs. It slows down the progression of your disease and also makes you able to exercise more.
- Do not use in patients with hypersensitivity to any active ingredient in Sildenafil.
- Sildenafil is usually not recommended for use by women and children under 18 years of age.
- Sildenafil should not be used in conjunction with any medicine called nitrate or guanylate cyclase stimulant such as Adempas (riociguat), because it causes dangerous blood pressure drops.
Dosage and usage Sildenafil
Information on drug products Sildenafil
Sildenafil oral tablet is available as brand name and generic drug. Brand names: Viagra, Revatio.
Image Viagra Viagra 25mg, 50mg, 100mg
Dosage for ED: usual dose is 50mg, taken as needed. Use up to 100mg once a day.
Dosage for PAH:
- The usual oral dose is 5 mg or 20 mg, taken three times daily at intervals of 4-6 hours. Use up to 20 mg.
- Injection dose: 2.5 or 10 mg IV bolus three times a day
Always take this medication exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Take Sildenafil (Viagra) about 1 hour before sexual activity and do not take more than 1 time per day. You can take Sildenafil between 30 minutes and 4 hours before sex if needed.
- It is important to note that when used for erectile dysfunction, Sildenafil will not work without sexual stimulation.
- Take Sildenafil (Revatio) or a suspension 3 times a day about 4 to 6 hours apart.
- Sildenafil (Revatio) oral suspension will be mixed by a doctor or pharmacist, shaking well for at least 10 seconds before each dose.
- Sildenafil (Revatio) injection is to continue treatment for PAH patients who are currently prescribed Sildenafil (Revatio) and who are temporarily unable to take oral medications. Your doctor or pharmacist will give you the shot.
Warnings and precautions when using Sildenafil
- Hypotension: Consumption of this drug may reduce blood pressure levels slightly and persist. Be cautious if you are taking any medicine to lower high blood pressure.
- Penis deformity: This drug should be used with caution in patients with physical deformity of the penis that may be due to anger, cavernous fibrosis or Peyronie disease. The risk of permanent sexual inability is high if this drug is used in patients with these conditions.
- Priapism: This drug can cause Priapism, painful erections that last more than 4 hours. Patients with sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, leukemia, physical deformity of the penis, etc. are at a higher risk of priapism.
- Hearing loss: This medicine may impair your ability to hear suddenly with a buzzing or ringing in the ear.
- Vision loss: This medication may cause sudden vision loss in one or both eyes. It can also cause impairment in color discrimination. This risk is higher in patients with a rare genetic disorder in the retina called pigment retinitis.
- Heart disease: This medication should be used with extreme care if you have heart and blood vessel disease. It is not recommended for use in patients with life-threatening heart attacks, strokes or arrhythmias within the past 6 months.
- Kidney disease: Report the incidence of kidney disease to your doctor. Use of this drug is not recommended in patients with severe renal impairment.
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH): Patients with erectile dysfunction have a higher risk of developing HA (benign prostatic hypertrophy) and vice versa.
- Other: The risk of side effects is very high in smokers, elderly patients and in patients with diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, etc.
- Report the use of this medication to your doctor / surgeon before undergoing any surgery including dental procedures.
Sildenafil side effects
The most common side effects of Sildenafil are:
- Stomach pain
- Abnormal vision such as: changing color vision and blurred vision
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Muscle aches
Stop taking sildenafil and call your doctor at once if you receive:
- Chest pain: if this happens during or after sex, enter a half sitting position and try to relax. Do not use nitrate to treat your chest pain
- Long lasting and sometimes painful erections: if you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours, contact your doctor immediately.
- Decreased or sudden loss of vision
- A serious skin reaction: symptoms may include fever, peeling and severe skin swelling, blistering of the mouth, genitals, and around the eyes.
Other drug interactions with Sildenafil
Taking sildenafil with certain medications increases the risk of sildenafil side effects. Increased side effects may include low blood pressure, dizziness or vision problems, including:
- HIV medications such as ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir or atazanavir.
- Some antibiotics such as clarithromycin or erythromycin.
- Some antifungal drugs such as ketoconazole or itraconazole.
Taking sildenafil with certain medications increases your risk of side effects. Increased side effects may include lower blood pressure, fainting or longer lasting erections than usual, including
- Alpha blockers such as terazosin, tamsulosin, doxazosin, alfuzosin or silodosin.
- Blood pressure medications such as: amlodipine.
- Other medications for erectile dysfunction such as avanafil, tadalafil or vardenafil.
- Avoid using grapefruit juice in large amounts while taking this medicine. Consumption of grapefruit juice may interfere with the action of this drug and reduce its effectiveness.
- Alcohol should be avoided while taking this medication due to an increased risk of serious side effects such as dizziness, fainting, flushing, persistent headache, changes in heart rate, etc.
Preserving the drug Sildenafil
- Store Sildenafil at room temperature between 20 ° C and 25 ° C.
- Store Sildenafil (Revatio) oral suspension below 30 ° C or in a refrigerator from 2-8 ° C. Do not freeze the product.
- Keep Sildenafil out of the reach of children and pets.
Sildenafil drug reference source:
- Source Drugs.com article Sildenafil : https://www.drugs.com/sildenafil.html , last updated on January 16, 2019.
- Source Practo.com article Sildenafil : https://www.practo.com/medicine-info/sildenafil-255-api , last updated on February 7, 2019.
- Sources of Healthline.com article Sildenafil, Oral Tablet : https://www.healthline.com/health/sildenafil-oral-tablet , under medical review by University of Illinois-Chicago, Drug Information Group on April 17 / 2018.
- Prestigious source index-china.com synthesizes the article Sildenafil 25mg 50mg 100mg to treat erectile dysfunction and pulmonary hypertension : https://index-china.com/sildenafil-medicine-25mg-50mg-100mg/ , updated 16/3/2020.
Please COMMENT below for our answers to Sildenafil 25mg 50mg 100mg to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) and pulmonary hypertension (PAH) .
Note: Sildenafil article information for the purpose of sharing knowledge is for reference only, patients are not allowed to use the drug themselves, all information on drug use must be directed by a qualified physician.
Assoc.Prof.Dr. Tran Ngoc Anh is currently Hanoi Medical University Hospital, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Head of Department of General-Uematology of Hanoi Medical University. Consulting doctor at ThuocLP Vietnamese health.
Professional qualifications, Academic degrees – Education:
Graduated from General Practitioner System, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated with a Master degree in Internal Medicine, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, Henri Mondor Institute Center, University of Paris 6, French Republic 1996-1997; 1999
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, North Royal Sydney Hospital, Australia; 2002
Graduated from a training program specialized in chronic liver diseases, Pizza, Italy 2009
Graduated with a PhD in Gastrointestinal, Hanoi Medical University
Associate Professor, Gastroenterology, Hanoi Medical University
Training and Scientific Research:
Published more than 200 articles in domestic and international specialized journals
Editor of many monographs and participates in compiling 2 textbooks.
Guide many students and graduate students of Hanoi Medical University
Manager of many grassroots research projects
Certificate of Good Clinical Practice (GCP: 2012, 2015), Ministry of Health
Specialized certificates: General gastrointestinal endoscopy, Interventional gastrointestinal endoscopy, General gastrointestinal ultrasound, Interventional gastrointestinal ultrasound (Bach Mai BV), Chronic liver disease.