Basic information about Xatral XL 10mg Alfuzosin treatment of prostate enlargement
- Brand Name: Xatral XL 10mg.
- Active ingredient: Alfuzosin.
- Drug class: Drugs for the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy.
- Content: 10mg.
- Form: Tablets.
- Packaging: 1 box of 30 tablets.
- Phone number: VN-2026-06.
- Manufacturer: Sanofi Winthrop Industrie – France.
What is Xatral XL 10mg Alfuzosin?
Xatral medicine belongs to a class of drugs called alpha1 receptor blockers. Xatral XL is used for the symptomatic treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. In addition, the drug is also used to treat acute urinary retention requiring catheterization due to benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Mechanism of action of active ingredient Alfuzosin
Active ingredient alfuzosin is an orally active quinazoline derivative. It is a selective, peripheral-acting antagonist of postsynaptic alpha-1-adrenoceptor receptors.
Pharmacological studies have documented the selectivity of alfuzosin for alpha1-adrenoreceptors located in the prostate gland, bladder fundus, and prostatic urethra.
Indications for the use of Xatral XL
It is used to treat a condition in men called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH. BPH is a condition in which the prostate gland (near your bladder) becomes enlarged making it harder for you to urinate. This can lead to symptoms such as:
- Weak or interrupted urine flow
- Feeling that you can’t empty your bladder completely
- Delay before you start urinating
- Need to urinate often, especially at night
- Feeling that you have to pass urine immediately.
Xatral works by relaxing the muscles in the prostate gland and increasing urine flow.
Contraindications to the use of Xatral XL
- Are allergic to Alfuzosin or any of its ingredients;
- Moderate to severe impairment of liver function;
- Take itraconazole, ketoconazole, or ritonavir;
- Take another alpha-1 blocker for blood pressure or prostate problems.
Dosage of Xatral XL 10mg
Dosage for adults
- Symptomatic treatment: you take 10mg (1 tablet/day) right after dinner.
- Adjunctive treatment: you take 10mg (1 tablet/day) for 3-4 days, treat from the first day of catheterization, 2-3 days during intubation and 1 day after catheterization .
Dosage for children
- Children 2-16 years old should not use this medicine.
How to Use Xatral XL
- The usual recommended dose is one 10mg tablet per day, after a meal. The tablet should be swallowed whole, not chewed or crushed. It should be taken after the same meal every day.
- Many things can affect the dose of medication a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose other than those listed here, do not change the way you are taking your medicine without consulting your doctor.
- It is important to take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice. If you miss taking this medicine for several days in a row, contact your doctor for instructions.
What should be done in case of an overdose of Xatral XL?
- Call 911 immediately or go to the nearest local health station.
- Of course, you’ll need to keep a record and bring a list of all the medications you’ve taken, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as possible.
- But if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the scheduled time.
- Do not take double the prescribed dose.
Precautions while using Xatral XL 10mg
You should not take Xatral if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- Moderate to severe liver disease.
Some medicines can cause unwanted or dangerous effects when used with them. Your doctor may change your treatment plan if you also use:
- An antibiotic;
- Antifungal drugs;
- Cardiac medications;
- antiviral drugs to treat hepatitis c or hiv/aids;
- Drugs similar to alfuzosin ( doxazosin , prazosin , silodosin , tamsulosin , or terazosin ).
Before taking Xatral tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- low blood pressure, especially if caused by medication;
- Liver failure;
- Kidney disease;
- Prostate cancer;
Xatral 10 must not be used in women and its effects during pregnancy or in nursing women are unknown.
Not approved for use by anyone under the age of 18.
Xatral XL side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor right away if you have:
- A light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
- New or worsening chest pain;
- Upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- An erection that is painful or lasts 4 hours or longer.
Common side effects may include:
- Feeling tired.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Drug interactions with Xatral XL 10mg Alfuzosin
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including any that you buy without a prescription from a pharmacy, supermarket or health food store.
Xatral XL and some other medicines may interfere with each other. Including:
- Antihypertensive drugs;
- other alpha blockers, including herbal medicines (minipress), terazosin (hytrin), and tamsulosin (flomaxtra);
- non-selective alpha-blockers, including phentolamine (regitine), labetol (trandate), and phenoxybenzamine (dibenyline);
- Nitrates (medicines that aid in the dilation of congested blood vessels);
- strong cyp3a4 inhibitors (medicines used to treat infections) such as ketoconazole ( nizoral ), itraconazole (sporanox), and ritonavir (norvir);
- General anesthetic (medicine used to put you to sleep during surgery or procedures).
These medicines may be affected by Xatral 10mg, or may affect its effectiveness. You may need to use different amounts of medicine, or take different medicines. Your doctor or pharmacist will advise you.
Your doctor or pharmacist has more information on medicines to be careful with or avoid while taking Xatral XL.
Preservation of drugs
- Store the medication between 59°F and 86°F (15°C to 30°C).
- Avoid light and moisture.
- Keep medicines and all medicines out of reach of children.
How much does Xatral XL 10mg cost?
How much does Xatral XL 10mg Alfuzosin Hydrochloride cost? Please COMMENT below or Contact 0933049874 (Zalo/ Facebook/ Viber/ Whatsapp) to buy and sell brand-name drugs in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Da Nang City, Can Tho City,… nationwide.
The above article is for reference only and is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. Readers should only follow the instructions of the doctor who is treating you, Index-China disclaims responsibility if problems occur.
Reputable source Nhà thuốc Online OVN: https://nhathuoconline.org/thuoc-dieu-tri/thuoc-duong-tiet-nieu/thuoc-xatral-10mg/
Assoc.Prof.Dr. Tran Ngoc Anh is currently Hanoi Medical University Hospital, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Head of Department of General-Uematology of Hanoi Medical University. Consulting doctor at ThuocLP Pharmacy.
Professional qualifications, Academic degrees – Education:
Graduated from General Practitioner System, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated with a Master degree in Internal Medicine, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, Henri Mondor Institute Center, University of Paris 6, French Republic 1996-1997; 1999
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, North Royal Sydney Hospital, Australia; 2002
Graduated from a training program specialized in chronic liver diseases, Pizza, Italy 2009
Graduated with a PhD in Gastrointestinal, Hanoi Medical University
Associate Professor, Gastroenterology, Hanoi Medical University
Training and Scientific Research:
Published more than 200 articles in domestic and international specialized journals
Editor of many monographs and participates in compiling 2 textbooks.
Guide many students and graduate students of Hanoi Medical University
Manager of many grassroots research projects
Certificate of Good Clinical Practice (GCP: 2012, 2015), Ministry of Health
Specialized certificates: General gastrointestinal endoscopy, Interventional gastrointestinal endoscopy, General gastrointestinal ultrasound, Interventional gastrointestinal ultrasound (Bach Mai BV), Chronic liver disease.