What is Velasof?
Velasof medicine contains sofosbuvir and velpatasvir that belong to a group of medicines called antiretrovirals. The drug is effective in the treatment of hepatitis C.
Drug information Velasof treatment of hepatitis C
- Brand Name: Velasof
- Active ingredients: Velpatasvir and Sofosbuvir
- Manufacturer: Hetero Healthcare Limited
- Content: 100mg and 400mg
- Form: Tablets
- Packaging: Box of 28 tablets
Velasof’s mechanism of action
One Velasof tablet contains direct acting antiviral agents such as sofosbuvir & Velpatasvir which work to reverse their effects by going through several mechanisms including
Active ingredient sofosbuvir is an inhibitor of HCV NS5B RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, an enzyme required for viral production. Thus, this inhibition causes a decrease in viral replication.
Active ingredient velpatasvir is an inhibitor of HCV NS5A is a pan genotype, NS5A is a protein required for HCV virus replication thus inhibition leads to reduced HCV virus production in the human body.
What are the uses of Velasof?
The drug is used in the following conditions such as:
- Patients with compensated cirrhosis or without cirrhosis.
- Decompensated patients with long-term condition are used in combination with ribavirin.
- The drug is used in conditions such as hepatitis C virus infection in adolescents, HCV infection caused by various genotypes such as I, II, III, IV, V or VI.
Who should not take the drug?
- Anaphylactoid reactions occurred while the patient was contraindicated to the components contained in the drug Velasof.
- The drug while used alone is safe if it is combined with ribavirin which is contraindicated in pregnant women.
Dosage and how to use Velasof?
Dosage of the drug
Before starting treatment, patients should be tested by counting hepatitis B surface antigen and hepatitis B core antibodies (HBsAg & Anti-HBc) to prevent problems such as reactivation of HBV infection.
The prescribed dosage of the drug includes such as:
- It contains fixed-dose combination drugs such as 400mg sofosbuvir and 100mg Velpatasvir.
- The drug is recommended in patients with genotype I, II, III, IV, V or VI chronic HCV infection.
- Pediatric Pugh A: One tablet of Velasof should be taken as a single dose.
- Patients with chronic or decompensated cirrhosis (children B or C): the drug should be combined with ribavirin.
- The dose of ribavirin should be administered on the basis of the patient’s weight.
- Under 75kg: 1000mg per day; at least 75kg: 1200mg per day.
- No dose adjustment is required for patients with renal impairment.
Velasof side effects
Some of the effects that may occur during treatment with Velasof tablets: nausea, insomnia, weakness, elevated lipase levels, depression, headache, fatigue, anemia, rash, increased creatinine kinase.
Call your doctor at once if you have: slow heartbeat, weak or shallow breathing, low red blood cell count – pale skin, weakness, fast heartbeat, trouble concentrating.
Velasof drug interactions
What other medicines does Velasof interact with?
- The drug in combination with HMG CoA reductase agents increases the concentration of these agents.
- Concomitant administration of acid-reducing agents reduces the effect of Velpatasvir concentrations.
- The drug is a P-gp & BCRP drug transport substrate while the drug combination with the P-gp inducer causes a decrease in the plasma concentration of Velasof tablets leading to a decrease in the therapeutic effect.
- The drug is used simultaneously with antimicrobial materials that cause depletion of the tablet.
- Medicines with amiodarone cause severe bradycardia.
- The drug in combination with digoxin increases the serum concentration of digoxin.
- Drugs with anticonvulsants neutralize the concentration of Velasof tablets.
- Combination with antiretroviral agents for HIV leads to decreased serum concentrations of Velpatasvir.
No interactions between food and drugs occur, an herbal product like st. Johns wort in combination with Velasof reduces the therapeutic effect of the drug.
Some safety tips
For women of childbearing potential
Velasof is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy. Animal studies have shown little or no adverse effects on the developing fetus, however, there are limited human studies.
For lactating women
The drug is POSSIBLY SAFE to use while breastfeeding. Limited human data suggest that the drug does not pose any significant risk to the baby.
For the ability to drive and use machines
Velasof may cause side effects that affect your ability to drive.
This medicine, when taken with other medicines to treat hepatitis c infection, can cause dizziness, blurred vision and this may affect your ability to drive.
For people with kidney disease
Velasof should be used with caution in patients with severe kidney disease. Velasof dose adjustment may be required. Please consult your doctor.
Limited information is available on the use of Velasof in these patients. No dose adjustment is recommended in patients with mild to moderate renal disease.
For patients with liver disease
Velasof is safe to use in patients with liver disease. Do not adjust the dose of the drug.
However, inform your doctor if you have any kidney disease as regular monitoring of liver function tests may be advised in some patients while taking this medicine.
How much does Velasof cost? Buy Velasof
To know how much the drug Velasof? Please COMMENT below or Contact 0933049874 (Zalo/ Facebook/ Viber/ Whatsapp) to buy and sell brand-name drugs in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Da Nang City, Can Tho City,… nationwide.
How to store medicine?
- Store the medicine below 30°C (86°F).
- You should also avoid the stove, as heat from the stove, sink, and any hot appliance can damage your medication.
- Make sure to keep the vials safe and out of reach of children.
- Store the medicine in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight or moisture.
- Think about your pet’s safety. Remember to keep the medicine away from pets.
- Do not store it in the bathroom. Because heat and humidity from your shower, bath, and sink can change the medicine’s chemistry, making it less effective and, in some cases, dangerous to use.
The above article is for reference only and is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. Readers should only follow the instructions of the doctor who is treating you, Index-China disclaims responsibility if problems occur.
Reputable source ThuocLP Vietnamese: Velasof is used to treat hepatitis C
Assoc.Prof.Dr. Tran Ngoc Anh is currently Hanoi Medical University Hospital, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Head of Department of General-Uematology of Hanoi Medical University. Consulting doctor at ThuocLP Pharmacy.
Professional qualifications, Academic degrees – Education:
Graduated from General Practitioner System, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated with a Master degree in Internal Medicine, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, Henri Mondor Institute Center, University of Paris 6, French Republic 1996-1997; 1999
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, North Royal Sydney Hospital, Australia; 2002
Graduated from a training program specialized in chronic liver diseases, Pizza, Italy 2009
Graduated with a PhD in Gastrointestinal, Hanoi Medical University
Associate Professor, Gastroenterology, Hanoi Medical University
Training and Scientific Research:
Published more than 200 articles in domestic and international specialized journals
Editor of many monographs and participates in compiling 2 textbooks.
Guide many students and graduate students of Hanoi Medical University
Manager of many grassroots research projects
Certificate of Good Clinical Practice (GCP: 2012, 2015), Ministry of Health
Specialized certificates: General gastrointestinal endoscopy, Interventional gastrointestinal endoscopy, General gastrointestinal ultrasound, Interventional gastrointestinal ultrasound (Bach Mai BV), Chronic liver disease.