What is Avonza?
Avonza medicine is a combination of 3 ingredients, Tenofovir/Efavirenz/Lamivudin, which is highly effective in treating HIV and belongs to a group of drugs with few side effects in treatment.
Information about the drug Avonza to treat HIV infection
- Brand Name: Avonza.
- Active ingredients: Tenofovir, Lamivudine, Efavirenz.
- Manufacturer: Mylan Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Content: 300mg/300mg/400mg.
- Form: Tablets.
- Packaging: Box of 1 bottle of 30 tablets.
Operational mechanism of Avonza like?
The drug is a combination of three antiviral drugs: Lamivudine, Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and Efavirenz. They work by stopping HIV from multiplying, thereby reducing the amount of virus in your body. They also increase the CD4 cells (white blood cells that protect against infection) in your blood.
Uses of Tenofovir: Tenofovir is used in the treatment of HIV infection and chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection.
Uses of Lamivudine: Lamivudine does not completely cure HIV infection; it reduces the amount of virus in your body and keeps it low. It also increases the number of CD4 cells in your blood. CD4 cells are a type of white blood cell that is important in maintenance.
Uses of Efavirenz: Efavirenz is used together with other medicines to treat human immunodeficiency virus infections. Efavirenz is in a class of drugs called non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs). It works by reducing the amount of HIV in the blood.
What is Avonza used for?
Avonza is indicated for the following cases:
- The patient has been infected with HIV, which can be in many ways such as sex, blood, mother to child, etc., which prevents the development of the virus that causes the disease.
- In this way, it will improve the life of HIV-infected patients, prolong the life of patients.
- Prevention of the risk of HIV infection for people who are employed or not or exposed to HIV such as injecting drugs, etc.
Who should not take Avonza?
- Hypersensitivity to the active ingredients of the drug.
- Women who are breastfeeding.
- People with impaired kidney function.
- Patients with liver disease, severe liver failure.
Some notes before you start taking Avonza
In addition, the use of the drug has the ability to increase the proliferation of adipose tissue in the body, causing patients to accumulate fat, which is manifested by symptoms such as central obesity, anterior enlargement, and mammary gland enlargement.
Manifestations of Cushing’s syndrome may occur when patients use the drug in combination with other antiretroviral drugs.
In addition, the use of Avonza reduces bone mineral density in HIV patients, especially in the lumbar spine. Therefore, it is necessary to examine and monitor the risk of osteoporosis when using it to take reasonable measures to supplement vitamin D and calcium.
Dosage and how to use Avonza?
How to use Avonza
- Take this medicine at the dose and duration advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Avonza will be drinking on an empty stomach.
- Studies have shown that drug absorption is significantly increased when combined with food even in small amounts. It is the increased absorption of Tenofovir from the combination tablet.
Dosage of Avonza
Dosage in adults: 1 tablet/time/day.
Dosage in Children and Adolescents: In children and adolescents, there is insufficient research evidence on the safety of the drug. Children under 18 years of age are not advised to use Avonza .
For the elderly
For people over 65 years of age, the safety and effectiveness of Avonza have not been established. However, if they really need to use it, these subjects can also use it but with a change in the dosage according to the doctor’s instructions.
Dosage in renal failure:
- In HIV-infected subjects with impaired renal function, drug absorption may be increased and elimination may be renally transferred.
- Creatinine clearance for patients with mild renal impairment when using the drug is 50-80ml/min. For patients with moderate renal impairment, the creatinine clearance Avonza is 30-49ml/min.
- In addition, there should be a time limit of 24-48 hours between doses.
- In patients with severe renal impairment, the drug should not be used.
Dosage in Hepatic Impairment: No dosage adjustment is required for these patients.
Avonza side effects
The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur from all constituting ingredients of Avonza. This is not a comprehensive list. Consult your doctor if you observe any of the following side effects, especially if they do not go away.
- Fever, cough
- Abdominal pain, indigestion.
- Back pain, joint pain
- Nausea, vomiting
- Hair loss
- Dizziness or fatigue?
- Muscle pain
- Feel worried
- Fatigue, poor concentration
- High liver enzymes
Avonza may also cause side effects not listed here.
Effects on pregnant or lactating women
For pregnant women
Avonza is not safe to use during pregnancy because there is clear evidence of a risk to the developing baby. However, doctors may rarely prescribe it in some life-threatening situations if the benefits outweigh the potential risks. Please consult your doctor.
For lactating women
The drug is POSSIBLY SAFE to use while breastfeeding. Limited human data suggest that the drug does not present any significant risk to the baby.
What other drugs may interact with Avonza?
If you use other medicines or through products at the same time, the effects of the medicine may change. This can increase your risk of side effects or prevent your medication from working properly. Avonza may interact with the following drugs and products:
How much does Avonza cost? Where to buy Avonza?
How much does Avonza cost? Please COMMENT below or Contact 0933049874 (Zalo/ Facebook/ Viber/ Whatsapp) to buy and sell brand-name drugs in Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Da Nang City, Can Tho City,… nationwide.
Preservation of drugs
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Keep medicine away from children and pets.
- Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into the sewer system unless instructed to do so. Drugs discarded in this way can contaminate the environment. Please consult your pharmacist or doctor for more details on how to safely remove it.
The above article is for reference only and is not a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment. Readers should only follow the instructions of the doctor who is treating you, Index-China disclaims responsibility if problems occur.
Assoc.Prof.Dr. Tran Ngoc Anh is currently Hanoi Medical University Hospital, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Head of Department of General-Uematology of Hanoi Medical University. Consulting doctor at ThuocLP Pharmacy.
Professional qualifications, Academic degrees – Education:
Graduated from General Practitioner System, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated with a Master degree in Internal Medicine, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, Henri Mondor Institute Center, University of Paris 6, French Republic 1996-1997; 1999
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, North Royal Sydney Hospital, Australia; 2002
Graduated from a training program specialized in chronic liver diseases, Pizza, Italy 2009
Graduated with a PhD in Gastrointestinal, Hanoi Medical University
Associate Professor, Gastroenterology, Hanoi Medical University
Training and Scientific Research:
Published more than 200 articles in domestic and international specialized journals
Editor of many monographs and participates in compiling 2 textbooks.
Guide many students and graduate students of Hanoi Medical University
Manager of many grassroots research projects
Certificate of Good Clinical Practice (GCP: 2012, 2015), Ministry of Health
Specialized certificates: General gastrointestinal endoscopy, Interventional gastrointestinal endoscopy, General gastrointestinal ultrasound, Interventional gastrointestinal ultrasound (Bach Mai BV), Chronic liver disease.