What is Nexium?
Nexium medicine contains a medicine called esomeprazole. This medicine belongs to a group of medicines called ‘proton pump inhibitors’. They work by reducing the amount of acid the stomach makes.
Basic information about Nexium medicine to treat acid reflux
- Brand Name: Nexium
- Active ingredient: Esomeprazole
- Content: 10mg, 20mg, 40mg
- Packing: 1 box of 28 tablets, box of 14 tablets depending on the market
- Producer: AstraZeneca
- Nexium Drug Prices: COMMENT below for prices.
Types of content of Nexium
- Nexium 10mg is mainly indicated for:
- Children 1-11 years old: Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Children 4 years and older: In combination with antibiotics in the treatment of duodenal ulcers caused by Helicobacter pylori.
- The drug is an oral suspension that can also be used in patients who have difficulty swallowing the dispersible tablets of the Gastric Antagonist. For indications in patients 12 years of age and older, see the prescribing information for this anti-gastric medicine.
- It is used to treat certain stomach and esophagus problems, such as acid reflux and stomach ulcers. It will relieve symptoms of heartburn, acid damage in the stomach, prevent ulcers and possibly help prevent cancer of the esophagus .
- Qualitative and quantitative composition: Each Nexium 20mg anti-gastric tablet contains 28 mg of sucrose, 22.3 mg of esomeprazole magnesium Ampicillin trihydrate equivalent to 20mg of esomeprazole.
- Drug Nexium Mups 40mg is medication in the digestive tract. Here are some basic information about the drug that users should know:
- The main ingredient of the drug is the active ingredient Esomeprazole 40mg. This substance has the ability to inhibit the proton pump, causing the stomach to reduce acid secretion.
Indications for treatment
The drug is used to treat the following conditions:
- Treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- An ulcer in the stomach or upper part of the intestine is infected with bacteria called ‘Helicobacter pylori’.
- Stomach ulcers caused by medicines called NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs):
- Too much acid in the stomach caused by an overgrowth of the pancreas (Zollinger-Ellison syndrome).
- Prolonged treatment after prevention of ulcer recurrence with intravenous Nexium.
Contraindications to treatment
- Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this medicine.
- Not approved for use in children under 1 year of age.
- Should not be used by pregnant and lactating women.
Dosage and how to use the drug
Dosage for adults
- The recommended dose for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): is 40 mg once daily for 4 to 8 weeks. After 8 weeks treatment can be continued at 20mg once daily for another 4 weeks.
- The recommended dose for the treatment of NERD or heartburn is 20 mg orally once a day for 2 to 4 weeks. Thereafter, Nexium may be given at 20mg once daily as needed to control symptoms.
- The dose for NSAID-associated gastric ulcer treatment is: 20 mg once daily for 4 to 8 weeks. To prevent such ulcers the dose is 20mg per day.
- The dose to treat duodenal ulcers caused by H. pylori is: 20mg twice daily with amoxicillin 1000mg twice daily and clarithromycin 500mg twice daily for all 7 days.
Dosage for children
Children from 12 months – 11 years old
- Dosage for reflux esophagitis is: 10mg – 20mg (depending on the child’s weight) once daily for 8 weeks.
- The recommended dose for NERD: 10mg once daily for up to 8 weeks.
Children from 11 to 17 years old
- The recommended dose for the treatment of reflux esophagitis is: 20 mg – 40 mg once daily for 4 to 8 weeks.
- The recommended dose for NERD is: 20mg once daily for 2–4 weeks.
How to use Nexium 40mg tablets?
- Use the drug exactly as prescribed by the doctor, do not increase or decrease the dose on your own; as doing so may cause unwanted side effects.
- Take the medicine with water and can be used before or after meals.
- Swallow the tablet whole, do not chew or crush the tablet.
- The medicine is usually only taken for 4 to 8 weeks. Your doctor may recommend a second course of treatment if you need more time to heal.
For patients who are unable to swallow tablets whole:
- Nexium may be stirred into half a glass of non-carbonated water until dissolved.
- Drink the liquid containing the drops immediately or within 30 minutes.
- To make sure you get the full dose, rinse the glass with more water and drink.
Medicine nexium 40mg taken before or after meals? When is the best time to take Esomeprazole?
- Nexium 40mg is suitable for taking before eating. 1 hour before a meal is the most suitable time to take the medicine. At this time, the patient should take the medicine with a full glass of water. Filtered water can be replaced with cooled boiled water. Do not take the drug with carbonated drinks, alcoholic beverages (beer, wine), …
- When taking the drug 1 hour before a meal, the active ingredient Esomeprazole will have time to dissolve in the stomach and take effect. The drug will not work immediately after taking it.
- When taking Nexium 40mg before meals 1 hour, patients will feel heartburn, esophageal reflux, stomach pain, … markedly improved after meals.
- Continuous daily use of the drug and the correct dose helps to definitively treat stomach ulcers, reflux and hot flashes.
Notes when using the drug
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to esomeprazole or to similar medicines: lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazole, Dexilant, Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, and others.
Tell your doctor if you have ever:
- Have severe liver disease ;
- Have lupus;
- Have Osteoporosis or low bone mineral density (osteoporosis );
- Have low levels of magnesium in the blood.
Nexium may increase the risk of fractures in the hip, wrist, or spine when proton pump inhibitors are taken long-term or more than once daily. Talk to your doctor about ways to keep your bones healthy.
Ask your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Nexium acid reflux side effects
Some of the common side effects may include:
- Nausea or vomiting;
- Skin rash, itchy skin;
- Dry mouth.
These side effects are usually mild.
Tell your doctor right away if you notice any of the following:
- Blurred vision;
- Mood swings, confusion, or depression;
- Muscle pain or weakness, joint pain;
- Increased breast size (male);
- Increased sweating;
- Change sleep patterns;
- Hair loss;
- Blood in the urine;
- Skin reactions, especially in sun-exposed areas;
- Multiple joint tumors.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
Other drug interactions with Nexium 40mg
Or tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking, including vitamins and minerals. Do not take Nexium if you are taking the following medicines:
- Atazanavir and nelfinavir: medicines used to treat viral infections such as HIV.
- Cilostazol: a medicine used to treat intermittent congestion.
Some drugs may interact with the active ingredient Esomeprazole. Including:
- Ketoconazole, itraconazole and voriconazole: medicines used to treat fungal infections.
- Diazepam: a medicine used to treat anxiety and certain other conditions.
- Phenytoin: a drug used to treat epilepsy or fits.
- Citalopram, clomipramine, and imipramine: medicines used to treat depression.
- St john’s wort: an herbal remedy used to treat mood disorders.
- Clarithromycin and rifampicin: medicines used to treat bacterial infections.
- Warfarin and clopidogrel: medicines used to prevent blood clots.
- Digoxin: a medicine used to treat heart disease.
- Methotrexate: a medicine used to treat arthritis and some types of cancer.
- Tacrolimus and mycophenolate mofetil : drugs used to support organ transplantation.
- Erlotinib or related drugs are used to treat cancer.
These drugs may be affected by Nexium or may affect its effectiveness.
How much does Nexium cost? Where to buy medicine?
The price of Nexium depends on the manufacturing company, imported goods named Nexium or cheap Vietnamese-made formula; Depending on the drug, the price of Esomeprazole in the drug will also be different.
the price notice of genuine AstraZeneca drugs:
- The price of Nexium Sac 10mg 28 packs is 690,000 VND.
- Price of Nexium 20mg 14 tablets is 320,000 VND.
- Price of Nexium Mups 20mg, box of 14 pills, price 320,000 VND
- Price of Nexium 40mg medicine box 1 vial for injection costs 176,000 VND.
- The price of Nexium Mups 40mg, a box of 14 pills, is 360,000 VND.
Buy Nexium 40mg at pharmacies nationwide, the address closest to your home.
Warnings and precautions when using Nexium medicine
- Bone health: Studies show that the use of the drug may increase the risk of bone fractures, especially for people who take this drug for a year or longer.
- Diarrhea: When stomach acid decreases, the number of normal bacteria in the digestive system increases and can cause gastrointestinal infections.
- Fluid and electrolyte balance: Nexium may cause blood levels of electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium to change while taking this medicine.
- Liver function: Patients with a history of liver disease or reduced liver function may cause this medication to build up in the body, causing side effects.
- More serious conditions of the stomach and intestines: can make stomach and intestinal conditions worse.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: Long-term use can lead to vitamin B12 deficiency.
For pregnant and lactating women
Several animal studies of esomeprazole-containing medicinal products have shown no adverse effects on pregnancy. However, there are insufficient data on the safety of the drug in pregnant women. Therefore, patients should consult a doctor and be cautious when using it.
It is not fully known whether esomeprazole (Nexium) passes into breast milk. Therefore, pregnant and lactating women should consult a doctor before taking the drug.
Preservation of drugs
- You should store the medicine at room temperature, in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight.
- You should not store the medicine in the refrigerator.
- Keep the medicine out of the reach of children.
- Do not throw medicine down the toilet or plumbing.
Please COMMENT below for us to answer about the drug
Disclaimer: Index-China goal is to provide readers with relevant and up-to-date information. However, because drugs interact differently from person to person, we cannot guarantee that this information includes all possible interactions. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always talk to your doctor or healthcare provider about possible interactions with all prescription medications, vitamins, herbs, and supplements, and over-the-counter medications you’re taking.
See also: https://index-china.com/nexium-medicine/
Reputable source ThuocLP Vietnamese: Nexium medicine 40mg Esomeprazole to treat acid reflux
Assoc.Prof.Dr. Tran Ngoc Anh is currently Hanoi Medical University Hospital, Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Head of Department of General-Uematology of Hanoi Medical University. Consulting doctor at ThuocLP Pharmacy.
Professional qualifications, Academic degrees – Education:
Graduated from General Practitioner System, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated with a Master degree in Internal Medicine, Hanoi Medical University
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, Henri Mondor Institute Center, University of Paris 6, French Republic 1996-1997; 1999
Graduated from the training program specialized in Gastrointestinal, North Royal Sydney Hospital, Australia; 2002
Graduated from a training program specialized in chronic liver diseases, Pizza, Italy 2009
Graduated with a PhD in Gastrointestinal, Hanoi Medical University
Associate Professor, Gastroenterology, Hanoi Medical University
Training and Scientific Research:
Published more than 200 articles in domestic and international specialized journals
Editor of many monographs and participates in compiling 2 textbooks.
Guide many students and graduate students of Hanoi Medical University
Manager of many grassroots research projects
Certificate of Good Clinical Practice (GCP: 2012, 2015), Ministry of Health
Specialized certificates: General gastrointestinal endoscopy, Interventional gastrointestinal endoscopy, General gastrointestinal ultrasound, Interventional gastrointestinal ultrasound (Bach Mai BV), Chronic liver disease.